A new way of thinking about art, architecture, craftsmanship, education and society

In 1919, architect Walter Gropius founded the Bauhaus school of design, in Weimar. Born out of the arts and crafts movement, the Bauhaus school blended teaching, practice and research. Ceramics, weaving, carpentry, metal works, printed graphics, stage production, glass, photography and advertising were viewed as equal disciplines and each had its own workshop. For 14 years, teachers like Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky and Oskar Schlemmer trained more than 1250 students, from 29 countries, to become interdisciplinary designers and artists.

Bauhaus

Alfred Schäfter (Entwurf und
Herstellung), Pendelleuchte, Prototyp, 1931-1932
Stiftung Bauhaus Dessau (I 21430 GG) /
Photo: Gunter Binsack, 2018

Art and Technology not at odds

The Bauhaus ideals included a strong belief that “art is for all”, not just the rich. Their modern ideas reached beyond sleek, metal and leather chairs and into building affordable housing with elements of style.

You’re Invited

Countless events are taking place in Germany this year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Bauhaus. The brand new Bauhaus-Museum-Weimer will be exhibiting pieces from the early years, through the development and legacy of Bauhaus. The museum’s Bauhaus collection, designed by former students and professors, numbers above 10 000. www.bauhausmuseumweimar.de/en/

In the fall, the new Bauhaus Museum Dessau opens, with a collection of 49 000 pieces. Dessau also hosts Bauhaus festival in September, where the highlight will be the world premiere of Kandinsky’s colour opera Violet. www.bauhaus-dessau.de/en

Throughout Germany the spirit of Bauhaus is in full swing with concerts, conferences and exhibits. There is even a Bauhaus trail to explore. www.gobauhaus.com ,   www.bauhaus100.com, www.germany.travel/en/

 Bauhaus in our own Backyard

La Station, an intergenerational community center, on Nun’s Island was designed by one-time Bauhaus school director Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Opened in 1969, the site was originally an Esso gas station. Sunken below road level, its two rectangular buildings, with walls of brick and glass, are linked by a large flat roof. The gas pumps and attendant booth have been removed, but the rest remains as intended.